Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Decisions......decisions......

Did anyone see the news last night? Well, if you did you would have seen that Social Workers finally got some positive publicity! That doesn't come very often! Normally you only hear of us on the news when a child has been abused or on a show like E.R. or Grey's Anatomy where you see the social worker dragging a child away kicking and screaming from their mother due to some form of suspected abuse. If you didnt catch it and you are interested you can read it here.

Contrary to most of the media's belief, there are rewarding areas of social work to work in. I currently work for The Department of Human Services (DHS) in the licensure department. I go out to group homes, shelters, adoption agencies and child placing agencies that we (DHS) place our kids in that are in custody and make sure that they are in compliance with the standards that are in place. This seemed like the perfect job when I took it. Don't get me wrong, it is a great job but at the time I was so burned out with being the "front line social worker" and the less people I had to deal with the better! Little did I know but I would soon miss interacting with the clients.

I have been offered a position within DHS in their Adoption/Resource Unit. I would be doing home studies, which I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to do, working with foster parents, conducting trainings and recruiting foster parents for Scott county. This sounds like the PERFECT job for me and usually I would jump on it but for some reason I am real hesitant.

As most of you know, Billy's job is less than pleasant. He has got several of things in the "works" but no on paper offers. When he was laid off in August he applied with a company. He had several phone interviews and then a couple of in person interviews. About the time the interviewing process was over, their business slowed down and they were able to hire any one. So in the mean time he gets another call from another company he has previously worked for asking him to apply for a position they have. So he does. He heard from them last week and they said that they are currently reviewing all the applications and they would call him back with a interview date. So we are waiting on that call he gets a call back from this other company saying that they are able to hire now and they want him!!!! He is excited but tells them about this other offer and they said ok well if you don't want the design job and you want to stay in quality then we will make you our Quality Manager.....as if the decision wasn't already hard enough! So I said all that to say that Billy has 3 verbal offers and not a clue of which one to take!

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we make our decisions! I think mine would be a lot easier if we weren't both changing jobs at the same time. As you know with a small child and this time of year the odds of her being sick and needing time off are high.

2 comments:

Shea Stringer Long said...

I'm stalking you!!!!!

The Reed's Blog said...

haha! yeah, yeah, yeah, but we all KNOW who it really is! I'm actually flattered! I didnt know that my life was that interesting. You would think if she was that interested in keeping up with my life that she would just be my friend. Her loss, not mine!!!!

Can't wait until this weekend!!!!